Philippines - ReliefWeb News
08/06/2014 08:56 GMT
KHARTOUM, August 6, 2014 (AFP) - Eighteen Sudanese have been killed by a rocket strike in the Libyan capital, but Khartoum says the situation does not yet warrant an evacuation of its nationals, official media reported.
A briefing to cabinet on Tuesday said "18 Sudanese nationals were killed in one incident due to fall of a random rocket on the area of their residence on the outskirts of Tripoli", the state SUNA news agency said late Tuesday, quoting cabinet spokesman Omer Mohammed Salih.
SUNA did not say when the deaths occurred.
Since mid-July, Libya has seen clashes between rival militias in Tripoli, where fighting broke out again on Monday, and in the eastern city of Benghazi.
Violence in those cities has killed more than 220 people, wounded around 1,000, and prompted an exodus of foreign nationals from the oil-rich North African nation.
Tripoli airport has been closed since gunmen, mostly Islamists, attacked it on July 13 in a bid to wrest control from the Zintan brigade of former rebels who have held it since 2011.
The foreigners' exodus gathered pace at the weekend when Britain and Greece sent ships to evacuate nationals.
On Tuesday, the Philippines said it would send a ship to pick up at least 700 of its citizens trapped in Libya.
Sudan's Foreign Minister Ali Karti said that although Sudanese have been killed, "the situation in Libya did not yet reach the critical stage that necessitates evacuation of the Sudanese there", SUNA reported on Monday.
Khartoum's embassy in Tripoli "did not receive any call from a Sudanese national demanding his evacuation from Libya to Sudan", but the government is ready to intervene and get them out if asked, cabinet spokesman Salih said.
Libya has been a popular destination for Sudanese migrant workers seeking better opportunities outside their impoverished nation.
© 1994-2014 Agence France-Presse
Philippines: NDRRMC Update SitRep No. 3 Effects of southwest monsoon (Habagat) enhanced by Typhoon "Jose" (Halong)
FLOODED AREAS (As of 8:30 PM, 05 August)
In San Narciso, Zambales, flooding still persistent in Barangays Libertad, La Paz, and Beddneg as well as Barangays Apostol, Feria, and Rosete in San Felipe, Xambales
Philippines: NDRRMC Update SitRep No. 4 Effects of southwest monsoon (Habagat) enhanced by Typhoon "Jose" (Halong)
Typhoon "Jose" has maintained its strength as it moves towards Southern Japan.
Two (2) are missing in Bautista, Pangasinan (Region 1):
B. FLOODED AREAS
To date, a total of eleven (11) barangays in four (4) municipalities in the Provinces of Pangasinan and Zambales are still flooded
Philippines: NDRRMC Update SitRep No. 2 Effects of southwest monsoon (Habagat) enhanced by Typhoon "Jose" (Halong)
Typhoon ''JOSE'' has weakened while moving in the general direction of Southern Japan.
A. FLOODED AREAS
To date, a total of eight (8) barangays in four (4) municipalities in the Provinces of Bataan and Zambales are still flooded.
Snapshot 30 July–5 August
OPt: As a 72-hour truce begins, 1,179 civilians have been reported killed since Operation Protective Edge started. A third of the population of the Gaza Strip – 485,000 people – have been displaced, an increase of 270,000 since last week. Most IDPs are staying in schools, which are severely overcrowded. The health system is overwhelmed.
Syria: Attacks on Douma and Kfar Bata, east of Damascus, have killed more than 50 people, while opposition forces have advanced in Hama. Deliveries of humanitarian aid to hard-to-reach areas dropped in July; only 49 of 287 such locations were reached.
Sudan: Further heavy rains and flooding have affected 6,100 households, half in River Nile and North Kordofan states. More than 3,000 homes are reported destroyed, and South Sudanese refugee camps flooded. Khartoum state has declared a high alert.
Updated: 05/08/2014. Next update: 12/08/2014
Philippines: NDRRMC Update SitRep No. 1 Effects of southwest monsoon (Habagat) enhanced by Typhoon "Jose" (Halong)
Typhoon "Jose" has maintained its strength and continues to move in a north northwest direction
A. Flooded Areas
A total of 8 barangays in 3 municipalities were flooded in the provinces of Bataan and Zambales.
By: Charmaine Suzette Leonore P. Tadlas
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, August 4 (PIA) -- A reporting system has been created by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to improve its data collection and dissemination during disasters.
Being the lead in disaster response, particularly on relief, early recovery, and rehabilitation, the DSWD’s staff from Visayas and Mindanao underwent a re-orientation on the disaster reporting system, last July 29-31, 2014, here to familiarize themselves on the system and be prepared for any disasters that may hit the country in the future.
Various applications, which has been developed by its internal information and communications staff, are now being introduced to its workforce, particularly those compatible for the web, non-android and android phones.
DSWD Assistant Secretary Javier Jimenez said that the reporting system enables the Department to collect and process data from the fields and enables it to provide a more accurate and real-time information to its partners and to the public. “We are proactively creating this so that we can now be more efficient in our disaster response whenever calamity strikes our country,” he added.
With the past challenges the country has faced on disaster response in the last four years until present, DSWD is strengthening its services to internally displaced persons and affected communities by applying the new disaster reporting system.(CSLPT/RTP/PIA10)
From the Department of Agriculture
Barely two weeks after Typhoon Glenda devastated Bicol and several other areas in Luzon and Visayas, the Department of Agriculture (DA) launched on Friday (August 1) its rehabilitation blueprint for the agri-fishery sector in the region, starting with the distribution of initial assistance valued at nearly P6 million to affected farmers and fisherfolk in Sorsogon.
Secretary of Agriculture Proceso Alcala led the turnover of the first batch of livelihood and production support to beneficiaries and local officials, who thanked the agriculture chief and the DA family in Bicol for their swift and timely delivery of aid to the devastated farmers and fishers.
“Maraming salamat po sa inyong mabilis na tulong, Mr. Secretary,” said 1st District Rep. Evelina Escudero.
Other local officials present during the event were 2nd District Rep. Deogracias Ramos, Ako Bikol Party List Rep. Rodel Batocabe, Vice Governor and concurrent acting Governor Antonio Escudero, Sorsogon Provincial Administrator Roberto Lee. Sorsogon City Mayor Sally Lee and six other mayors of Districts 1 and 2 municipalities were likewise in attendance.
Dubbed as Bicol Rehabilitation Assistance for Glenda – Agriculture Sector, the rebuilding plan entails the provision of production support—composed of various machineries, fishing boats and gears, replacement seeds of rice and corn and other planting materials, and new stocks of animals—to agri-fishery stakeholders in Bicol’s six provinces so that they could replant or resume fishing at the soonest possible time.
For Sorsogon, the first batch of assistance included the following: five (5) units of handtractors; various garden tools; 10 units of motorized bancas; 1,000 bags of palay seeds; 200 bags of OPV and hybrid corn seeds; nearly 8,000 sachets of assorted vegetables; three (3) modules of goats and sheep; 8,000 pieces of pili nut seedlings; and eight heads of carabao with implements.
Two trucks full of vegetables from Benguet such as potatoes, carrots, sayote and cabbage were also delivered to barangay food terminals and other accredited outlets across the province as part of DA’s market infusion initiative to help maintain sufficient and affordable supply of basic food items locally.
In addition, Alcala instructed Dir. Abelardo Bragas of DA Regional Field Unit 5 to coordinate with the mayors of affected municipalities in Sorsogon for his commitment of additional bags of rice and corn seeds.
“Makakaasa po kayo na patuloy pong nandito ang ating Kagawaran—ang ating regional office ng DA at Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources—para po makipagtulungan sa inyo,” Alcala told an audience of around 200 farmers and fishers in a turnover ceremony at a DA-operated dairy farm in Barangay Cabid-an in Sorsogon City.
He said such quick response was made possible through the strong collaboration between local government units (LGUs) and DA officials in the region, which he said should be sustained.
“… Hindi po puwedeng LGUs lang, hind po puwedeng DA lang,” he said. “Kailangan pong tayo’y magsasama-sama upang labanan ang problema sa ating harapan. This time, walang kulay pulika, lahat ay kulay agrikultura.”
Philippine Rural Development Program
Alcala also urged local governments to take advantage of the upcoming Philippine Rural Development Program, in which Bicol is a pilot site, to help modernize its farming and fishing sector.
To be bankrolled largely (80%) from World Bank loan proceeds along with counterpart funds from LGUs (10%) and the Department (10%), the P27.5-billion PRDP will be implemented over six years as the agency’s platform for inclusive growth and value-chain development and help create a climate-resilient farming and fishery industries.
Aside from LGU leaders, regional agriculture and fishery officials also came in full force. They included Dir. Dennis Del Socorro of BFAR, Dir. Ernesto Tabing of the National Meat Inspection Service, Dir. Mary Anne Molina of Philippine Fiber Industry Development Authority and Regional Agri-Fishery Council chair Jose Cordero.
Sorsogon is one of the provinces in Bicol hardest hit by typhoon Glenda. Latest available data from DA RFU 5 shows total estimated losses in crops, livestock, fisheries and infrastructure in the province stood at P318.7 million. In rice alone, some 3,700 Sorsogueño palay farmers lost an estimated 8,935 metric tons of palay worth P50 million.
In sum, the agri-fishery sector in the entire region suffered damages valued at P3.9 billion, with Camarines Sur and Albay reporting the biggest losses, at P2.43 billion and P940.1 million, respectively. An estimated 80,435 farmers and fishers were affected by the typhoon across Bicol.
Alcala is also scheduled to visit other typhoon-battered areas in the region on Thursday and Friday to personally oversee the turnover of assistance and to meet with local officials on how to fast-track the rebuilding efforts.
Meanwhile, DA continues to ensure the recovery of agri-fishery stakeholders who lost their sources of livelihood and income to typhoon Yolanda that ravaged Central Philippines late last year. In fact, a day before flying to Bicol, Alcala was in Samar Island with Senate Committee on Food and Agriculture chairperson Cynthia Villar to distribute various livelihood and food production assistance worth P7.65 million to the affected food producers.
These included replacement seeds, farm equipment and machineries and several modules of goats and other livestock for affected farmers and fishers in Mercedes, Giporlos, Balangiga, Lawaan in Eastern Samar, and Marabut and Basey on the mainland).