CERF provides seed funds to jump-start critical relief operations and fund life-saving programmes not covered by other donors. Based on priorities established under the leadership of the Humanitarian/Resident Coordinator (RC/HC) in the field, UN funds, programmes and specialized agencies as well as the International Organization for Migration (IOM) are eligible to apply for grants and loans. The process is meant to be inclusive and transparent and efforts should be made to engage NGO and government partners. Requests are submitted to the Emergency Relief Coordinator (ERC).
Applying for Rapid Response grants
CERF rapid response funds can help reduce the inconsistency and delays humanitarian organizations may experience when receiving voluntary contributions. Rapid response funds help support life-saving activities at the onset of a crisis. More>>
Applying for Underfunded grants
One-third of CERF grants are given to support humanitarian response activities within an underfunded emergency. Twice a year, the ERC invites selected countries to apply for grants from the underfunded emergencies category. The ERC selects countries based on a number of criteria, including funding statistics, UN agencies’ recommendations, inter-agency consultations and discussions with the RC/HC. More>>
Applying for Loans
CERF’s loan element provides money to eligible humanitarian organizations to begin implementing their emergency response activities. These funds are crucial, as organizations may experience delays when receiving donors’ contributions. More>>
The interactive graphic below explains the process step-by-step. NOTE: The links embedded in the graph will open PDF files.
- Apply using the CERF Application Template (English | French)
- You can also download the chapeau and project parts of the CERF Application Template separately (Chapeau and Project in English | Chapeau and Project French).
- Agencies may submit their proposed budget in the optional CERF Budget Tool 2013 (Excel - January 2013).
- In all cases, proposals should be sent as a package with a cover letter/e-mail from the RC/HC to the ERC and the CERF secretariat.
- Cheat Sheet on CERF, CAP and Flash Appeals (PDF - November 2008)
No Cost Extensions, Reprogramming and Redeployment of Funds
- Guidance: No Cost Extensions and Reprogramming of Funds
- No-Cost Extensionsand Reprogramming Request From
- Redeployment of Funds Request From
For aditional information, click on the graphic below