Comoros has experienced 21 coups or coup attempts since it declared independence from France in 1975. In 2001 a new constitution was adopted which created the Union of the Comoros, with considerable autonomy accorded to each of the three islands. Peaceful elections were held in December 2010.
Some 45% of the population lives below the poverty line, and Comoros ranked 163 out of 187 countries on the United Nations Human Development Index in 2011.
Since 2007, OCHA ROSA has been supporting various activities in the Comoros, including:
- The development of CERF Rapid Response applications in 2008 and the deployment of three Humanitarian Affairs Officers as surge capacity to coordinate the humanitarian response to an emerging social conflict;
- The development of a multi-hazard national contingency plan in 2009;
- The organization of a United Nations Disaster Assessment and Coordination (UNDAC) Disaster Response Preparedness mission in 2010 ;
- Leading a UNDAC mission to assess the impact of floods which affected some 8% of the total population in 2012, as well as supporting the flood response, CERF application and the launching of an Early Recovery Plan.
- Facilitating national and regional training on emergency preparedness and response.
- Carrying out real time assessment on information management and developed information management strategy.