South Africa is a middle-income country with abundant resources and a modern infrastructure supporting an efficient distribution of goods throughout the entire region. South Africa is ranked 24th in the world in terms of GDP although unemployment is high. South Africa is ranked in the top 10 countries in the world for income inequality.
Since 2007, OCHA ROSA has been supporting various activities in South Africa, including:
- Comprehensive coordination response to displacement caused by a social conflict in 2008.
- The creation of a Humanitarian Country Team (HCT).
- Supporting the creation of a civil society humanitarian coordination group - the Humanitarian Assistance Network of South Africa (HANSA).
Development of tools and training for:
(1) early warning for social conflicts; and
(2) post-social conflict urban assessment.