South Africa is a middle-income country with abundant resources and modern infrastructure supporting an efficient distribution of goods throughout the entire Southern Africa region. The nation is ranked 24th in the world in terms of GDP, but also is among the top 10 countries in the world for income inequality, and unemployment is high. South Africa ranks 4th in HIV/AIDS prevalence, with 17.9% of the population being HIV positive.
The country’s disaster management authority is the National Disaster Management Centre which operates at a national level, supporting Provincial Disaster Management Centres.
Since 2007, OCHA ROSA has supported various activities in South Africa, including:
- Comprehensive coordination response to displacement caused by a social conflict in 2008;
- Supporting the creation of a civil society humanitarian coordination group known as “Humanitarian Assistance Network of South Africa” (HANSA);
- Developing tools and training for:
1. Early warning for social conflicts and
2. Post-social conflict urban assessment
- Carrying out various monitoring missions on cross border issues with Zimbabwe