Since 2007, OCHA ROSA has spearheaded international humanitarian community partner efforts to:
- Strengthen intergovernmental cooperation on emergency preparedness and response through SADC;
- Ensure minimum preparedness measures at the national level to mitigate against the impact of disasters, particularly the extreme impacts of climate change;
- More recently to make progress on broader disaster risk reduction objectives.
OCHA ROSA works with:
- Regional economic communities such as SADC.
- UN Country Teams and national Governments.
- Regional mechanisms that bring together humanitarian actors (regional agencies and institutions, international NGOs, academia institutions).
OCHA ROSA chairs RIACSO. RIASCO is part of the regional accountability framework of the Regional Director Team for Southern and Eastern Africa (RDT), and thus part of RDT’s Emergency Preparedness and Response Cluster for Eastern and Southern Africa. This has a strong agenda around priority humanitarian issues (coordination, preparedness and response) in the Southern Africa region.
OCHA ROSA also chairs SADC’s Regional Information Management Working Group, which collects and analyses the data provided from the National Vulnerability Assessment Committee.