Highlights Last Updated: 02 Aug 2020
- With more than 10,000 COVID-19 cases now recorded daily, South Africa is the worst-affected country on the African continent.
- In Lesotho, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe, the number of COVID-19 cases has doubled in about two weeks.
- In East Africa, 92 per cent of working women are employed in the informal sector, heightening the risks they face of sexual exploitation and abuse due to economic vulnerability.
- Reports of gender-based violence have increased. However, service providers are not always being recognized as essential workers and women's organizations are underfunded.
- The COVID-19 Global Humanitarian Response Plan is just 20 per cent funded. More resources are urgently needed to enable partners to scale-up their response.