Skip to main content

You are here

Title

Daily Noon Briefing Highlights: Syria - Yemen

28 Jan 2022

Body


© OCHA Yemen

Daily Noon Briefing Highlights – 28 January 2022

Syria 

Martin Griffiths, the Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, briefed the Security Council on Syria yesterday.

Mr. Griffiths pointed out that even the bare minimum of relief, civilian protection, and access to basic social service is not being provided to people in need, and said that ‘failure each year cannot be our strategy.

The conflict continues to claim civilian lives and impact civilian infrastructure, and the unusually bitter winter storms last week have made the situation worse, especially for displaced people.

Camp residents are burning garbage to stay warm, Mr. Griffiths said, and one child was reportedly killed when snow collapsed a tent.  

Yet current funding of the humanitarian response only allows help to half of the over 4 million people across Syria who need protection and the basics of survival.

The humanitarian chief also expressed concern about the deepening economic crisis, which is making food increasingly unaffordable and called for action to reduce dependency on food aid. 

A six-month-plan to reach people in need in north-west Syria through crossline deliveries is under way, but this cannot replace the size and scope of the massive cross-border operation, he said.

To ensure that all people in Syria have access to food, medicine, and basic services, and are protected from harm, aid organizations need more access, funding and an immediate scaling-up of early recovery programmes. 

 

Yemen

The Emergency Relief Coordinator has just allocated $20 million from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) to support the humanitarian response to newly displaced people in Marib, Al Jawf and Hadramawt.

Clashes in Marib and surrounding governorates have exacted a heavy toll on civilians following an escalation in the Houthi-led offensive that started almost a year ago. In just the last four months of 2021, more than 65,000 people were forced to flee due to ongoing hostilities. A missile attack on Marib City on Wednesday (26 January), which killed and injured a number of civilians, is just the latest example of the deadly impact of the ongoing violence.

The CERF allocation will help to provide life-saving assistance to 270,000 people, including internally displaced people and host communities. It will also help to scale up operational capacities to support the response, including humanitarian air transport.

The allocation is very timely. Last year’s Humanitarian Response Plan was only 58 per cent funded. Aid agencies are warning of major cuts to their programming if they do not receive additional urgent funding. This month, emergency food rations were reduced for 8 million people across Yemen.