IASC calls on world leaders at the climate summit to prioritize the most vulnerable
TitleIASC calls on world leaders at the climate summit to prioritize the most vulnerable
Homes in Barangay Baybay in Malinao, the Philippines, were destroyed by Typhoon Goni, November 2020. © OCHA/Martin San Diego
The global humanitarian community calls on world leaders at climate summit to prioritize the most vulnerable and at-risk countries and communities.
Members of the Inter-Agency Standing Committee urge Governments at COP26 in Glasgow to step up support to people most at risk and vulnerable to the devastating effects of the climate crisis.
Humanitarian organizations are committed to being part of the solution, however, the extent of the scale and impact of the climate crisis is more than humanitarian organizations can address alone.
We urge Governments to consider the humanitarian consequences that their decisions have on people bearing the brunt of the climate crisis. We have no time to lose.
Read the full statement online.
- Mr. Martin Griffiths, Emergency Relief Coordinator and Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- Mr. Sean Callahan, President and Chief Executive Officer, Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Mr. Dominic MacSorley, Chief Executive Officer, Concern Worldwide
- Mr. Qu Dongyu, Director-General, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- Mr. Peter Maurer, President, International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Ms. Jane Backhurst, Chair of ICVA Board and Senior Adviser, Humanitarian Policy and Advocacy, Christian Aid
- Mr. Ignacio Packer, Executive Director, International Council of Voluntary Agencies (ICVA)
- Mr. Samuel Worthington, Chief Executive Officer, InterAction
- Mr. Jagan Chapagain, Secretary General, International Federation of Red Cross (IFRC)
- Mr. António Vitorino, Director General, International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Ms. Michelle Bachelet, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- Ms. Abby Maxman, Chair, Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response (SCHR), and President and CEO, Oxfam America
- Mr. Gareth Price-Jones, Executive Secretary, Steering Committee for Humanitarian Response (SCHR)
- Ms. Cecilia Jimenez-Damary, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Internally Displaced Persons (SR on HR of IDPs)
- Mr. Achim Steiner, Administrator, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Dr. Natalia Kanem, Executive Director, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- Ms. Maimunah Mohd Sharif, Executive Director, United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat)
- Mr. Filippo Grandi, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Ms. Henrietta H. Fore, Executive Director, United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- Mr. David Beasley, Executive Director, World Food Programme (WFP)
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO)