Highlights Last Updated: 24 May 2022
- Around 442,000 people displaced in 2021, which is five-fold the number displaced in 2020, and the highest after 2014, according to the 2022 GRID Report.
- Disasters, COVID-19, economic crisis, and worsening food insecurity increased competition for resources in 2021 and contributed to the rise in violence and displacement, IDMC says.
- WFP received a donation of €2.5 million ($2.67 million) from Italy to support emergency nutrition activities in Sudan.
- With this donation, WFP will be able to provide specialized nutritious food to over 160,000 children under-five and pregnant and nursing women in crisis-affected areas.
- In 2022, WFP plans to assist up to 2.7 million children and pregnant and nursing women, however funding shortfalls may jeopardize this plan.