High-Level Pledging Event on the Humanitarian Crisis in Yemen
“Yemen is in a severe humanitarian crisis. I urge donors and all other stakeholders to enable humanitarian relief efforts with adequate funding, access and other support.”
– António Guterres, United Nations Secretary-General
“As the conflict enters its seventh year, millions of people continue to suffer in Yemen. We need urgent support to continue our work to save lives. But we also need to address the underlying drivers of the crisis – this will help to make people less vulnerable, build their ability to withstand shocks and give them hope for the future.”
– Martin Griffiths, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator
Seven years of conflict and economic collapse have devastated the country and exhausted people’s coping capacities. Meanwhile, unprecedented funding shortages have forced humanitarian organisations to cut lifesaving aid over recent weeks, including food, clean water, healthcare, and protection. In short, this means fewer people are receiving the help they need at a time when they need it most.
The high-level pledging event for Yemen represented a critical opportunity for the international community to demonstrate its continued commitment to the people of Yemen. This event took place on Wednesday, 16 March 2022, co-hosted by the United Nations and the Governments of Sweden and Switzerland.
|Financial Announcements 2022|
Agenda and format
14:30 - 14:50 CET - Segment One: Opening Session
- Ms. Melissa Fleming, UN Under-Secretary-General for Global Communications welcomes the audience and introduces the co-hosts
- Opening Remarks by
- H.E. Mr. António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Statement by H.E. Mr. Ignazio Cassis, President of Switzerland, and head of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
- Statement by H.E. Ms. Ann Linde, Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs
- Statement by Mr. Martin Griffiths, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator
14:50 - 17:20 CET - Segment Two: Statements and Pledge Announcements by Participating Delegates
- The Secretary-General called on H.E. Dr. Maeen Abdulmalik Saeed, Prime Minister of Yemen.
- The Secretary-General called on Ms. Angelina Jolie, UNHCR Special Envoy.
- Moderators called on speakers from the floor.
17:20 - 17:30 CET - Segment Three: Closing Session
- Mr. Martin Griffiths, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator
- Mr. Manuel Bessler, Deputy Director-General, Head of Humanitarian Aid Department, Switzerland.
- Mr. Carl Skau, Deputy Director-General, Head of Department for UN Policy, conflict and humanitarian affairs, Sweden.
The Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs and the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs organized a high-level virtual side event on “Yemeni Women in The Humanitarian Response: Challenges, Needs and Opportunities”. Click here to watch the event on YouTube.
|Financial Announcements 2022|
|High Level Pledging Event Concept Note|
|Side Event Concept Note|
|Side Event Flyer|
Disclaimer: Statements and videos by partners are not a reflection of endorsement by OCHA.
OCHA thanks all partners who provided interventions from the floor, including the additional video and written statements.
|Canada||The Hon Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of International Development|
|Denmark||H.E. Mr. Flemming Moeller Mortensen, Minister for Development Cooperation|
|France||H.E. Mr. François Delattre, Secretary General of Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs|
|Germany||H.E. Dr. Tobias Lindner, Minister of State at the Federal Foreign Office|
|Iceland||H.E. Mr. Simon Coveney, Minister for Foreign Affairs|
|Ireland||H.E. Mr. Simon Coveney, Minister for Foreign Affairs|
|Italy||H.E. Ms. Marina Sereni, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation|
|Japan||H.E. Mr. HONDA Taro, Parliamentary Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan|
|Korea, Republic of||H.E. Mr. Ham Sang wook, Deputy Foreign Minister for Multilateral and Global Affairs|
|Lithuania||H.E. Mr. Darius Staniulis, Permanent Representative of Lithuania to the UN in Geneva|
|Mauritius||H.E. Mr. Jagdish Dharamchand Koonjul, Permanent Representative of Mauritius to the UN in New York|
|Poland||H.E. Mr. Paweł Jabłoński, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs|
|Qatar||H.E. Ms. Lolwah Rashid Al Khater, Assistant Foreign Minister|
|Slovania||H.E. Dr. Stanislav Raščan, State Secretary of Foreign Affairs|
|IOM||Ms. Ugochi Daniels, IOM Deputy Director General for Operations|
|UNFPA||Mr. Ib Petersen, Assistant Secretary-General, Deputy Executive Director of UNFPA|
|UNHCR||Ms. Gillian Triggs, UNHCR’s Assistant High Commissioner for Protection|
|UNICEF||Ms. Catherine Russell, Executive Director of UNICEF|
|WFP||Mr. David Beasley, Executive Director of the World Food Programme|
|ICRC||Mr. Peter Maurer, President of the ICRC|
|Al Tadamun Foundation for Development||Ms. Ahlam Abdullah, Programme Manager|
|Life Makers Meeting Place Organization||Ms. Marwa Marwan Saleh Al -Juaidi, Fundraising Officer|